Monday, January 3, 2011

The Low Down of the Crack Down

So I have bought tons of cookbooks, get them home and realize that they aren't all they're cracked up to be. There is nothing less satisfying than buying a book, trying a recipe and realizing that it is awful. That is what inspired me to create this site. I wanted to give people a leg up before they decide to spend, the usually $20 minimum, and give them a bit of insight to what the cookbook has to offer.

In order to do this, I thought it would be smart to create a criteria by which I can judge the worth of the cookbook. The criteria are as follows:

1. Cost of ingredients- Since I am 23 and living pretty frugally, I like to keep overall cost between $15-30 for the meals I will be making. Spices, condiments and pantry staples are not included in the price estimates since they should be on hand.

2. Time and Effort- How labor intensive is the dish? Can I bank on this recipe to get me out of a bind or do I need to start it, pop in Julie and Julia, then finish before bed. A good meal can take 15 minutes, but a great meal shouldn't take more than an hour that is, unless it is snuggled safely in a crockpot : ).

3. Hello... Taste!- We all know that just because a recipe is featured in a cookbook doesn't mean that it is good. I will try to be pretty open minded about this, however I do have a picky fiance who doesn't have the most open pallet.

4. Overall qualities of the book- Does the book feature pictures that accompany the recipe? Does the book give advice or useful tips? Is the book filled with anecdotes from the chef? Does the book sport awkward and hilarious pictures of Bobby Flay? (One book I will review most certainly does!) This will tell you whether you should buy the book or look it up at the local library (Yes the library is still around)!

I hope this site will give you a bit of motivation to try new things and keep an eye out for great cookbooks!


Look for my next post later this week!
Abbie

No comments:

Post a Comment