Monday, January 31, 2011

Recipe 3: Provencal Roasted Chicken with Honey and Thyme

*SPOILER ALERT* I realize that I am trying two chicken dishes back to back, however the pork and beef dishes in this cookbook were either too expensive or actually didn't appeal to me, so stay with me here!

Anyway, this dish really caught my eye as what I call, a "pretentious pleaser" dish- a dish that sounds classy but doesn't require a high amount of skill. The term "Provencal" simply refers to the use of thyme, lemon and shallot which lends a French vibe to the meal. That is about the most I can say for this meal.

I thought the recipe fell short, to say the least. The chicken was slightly moist alright, however I didn't get much in the flavor department. This dish has well over an hour of prep work and cook time, but doesn't yield a high amount of flavor. The honey helped to create a bit of crispiness on the skin, but I found the lemon and shallot sauce to be too overpowering for the chicken.

This dish is a definite let down. If you are looking for an ok tasting dish that requires a lot of time, then by all meas you have found it! I am keeping hope for the pancakes that I have yet to try. Maybe they will lift my lame chicken blues.

Later, non-chicken posts!

Abbie

PS. Since the dish was a let down, I figured I would include something fun-- my kitties with my cookbooks!

1 comment:

  1. Awww, the kitties are so cute. Bet they liked the chicken!! Always wondered what "provencal" meant........
    Keep cookin'!

    ReplyDelete