Monday, January 17, 2011

Recipe 1: Parmesan, Pepper and Lemon Biscuits

The only reason I chose this recipe was because of a terrible title. Parmesan, pepper and lemon biscuits. For those of you who know me, I hate three things in this world-- alliteration, the word moist, and the word biscuit. As much as it pained me to read through this recipe, it turned out to be a pretty fun bake.

At first glance, the ingredients are accessible, easy to come by, and for the most part, on hand. I did make one adjustment to the ingredient list. The recipe calls for diced and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, however, I used only shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. As is common knowledge, the use of very cold butter and even milk is key for this type of baking. I mixed my dry ingredients first, then cut in the butter and finished them up. The recipe itself is written in a difficult way, since you have to refer back to the recipe before it; however, if you read carefully, it all comes out in the end.

Since I am a recovering college student who is new to the job world, I don't have modern conveniences like biscuit cutters. I put on my thinking cap and came up with the use of a well floured juice cup (this idea was also shown in the cookbook, but I didn't realize it until after I had my epiphany!)

Overall, the biscuits didn't turn out too bad. As it goes for biscuits, they tend to be a bit too dry; however, these were rather moist delicious. My only advice would be to measure out the lemon zest and to use fresh ground pepper to give you the best results. These would be the perfect addition to meals such as steaks in the summer, a nice salad in the winter, chicken ragout (like the one I am testing out later) in the fall or a fish dish in the spring.

I hope this inspires you to try a few biscuit recipes out for yourself. I will be checking out the chicken ragout next!

Check ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment